Friday, April 21, 2017

Teaching Bluejays: That's a WRAP! (Week 15)

Today when the bell rang at 2:45, it signaled the end of my time at Central Columbia High School.  It is hard for me to gauge just how much I have grown in my time here, but I know that I am not the same man I was in April of 2016. I feel that I am a more confident, organised, and passionate educator. As I sit here at my desk for one final evening, I am thinking about the faculty and students who have left a mark on my heart these past 15 weeks. I believe that in the long run, it is these individuals that I will remember most when I reminisce on my time at Central. I had no primary instruction this week, but I did get to spend my time focusing on the relationships that ag teachers get to build.

As I drove in to school this morning, I noticed the trucks of two of my senior boys in the parking lot. I thought that was weird, because there was no parli-pro practice. When I walked in to my room, I saw my desk and everything on/around it layered with shrink-wrap. The two guys were peeping through the shop windows in a way that I can only describe as two dogs waiting for the mailman. They did however bring me doughnuts, so I couldn't be too upset. That is until just before the final bell rang, when they told me I should go take a look at my vehicle. Turns out they hit that too. I was secretly hoping that my students would plan a surprise for my last day, so my day was made.

This week, Mr Turner and his family invited me to their farm for dinner. Also, I participated in the northern region new-and-beginning teacher dinner, hosted by Dr Rice and the CPPD. Not only did I get 2 free meals, but I got to interact with and enjoy the company of other teachers outside of the classroom. That is what I have come to appreciate most about the profession. It is not a job, it is a why of life in an amazing community. I love building personal relationships in this journey of life, and I am blessed to be able to add Central Columbia to the list of those I've loved along the way.

I'm not sayin' I'm through by any means.
'Cause there's still things that I want to say and do.
I hope you won't forget me, 'cause we've shared a lot dreams.
And just know that I'll always remember you.
You've pulled me through some hard times.
Hope I've pulled you through a few.
And just know that I'll always remember you.
-George Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment